Contact us


Send us an email!

Contact details:


Your message has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Travel insurance Quote

Level of protection: $

Contact details:


Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Car insurance Quote

Contact details:

Your car:

Coverage Questions

Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

Life insurance Quote

Level of protection: $

Contact details:

Have you used tobacco or nicotine products in the last 12 months?

Yes, I have No, I haven't
Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.

House insurance Quote

Your house:

Personal Info:

Have you had any claims in the past 5 years?

Yes, I have. No, I have not.

Networking Partner Area

Quote Flood

Yes, quote Flood Insurance! No, maybe another time.

Quote Earthquake Insurance

Yes, quote Earthquake Insurance! No, maybe another time.
Your Quote Form has been sent successfully. Close this notice.
4 months ago · by · Comments Off on DMV Services

DMV Services

DMV Registration Renewal in Tracy, California

We are local Tracy, California DMV Registration Services agency that also does all things insurance. You can skip the DMV line, walk-in and out within 10 minutes with your updated Registration, New Sticker or License Plates. Call us at (209)207-0577 or stop by at our local Tracy office on the corner of Eleventh St. & Tracy Boulevard.

We can help you in-house with the following concerns:

  • How can I get a replacement DMV sticker or registration card in person?
  • My license plate was lost or stolen. How can I get a replacement?
  • I need a new month sticker for my license plate. Can I walk-in and get a month sticker?
  • I bought a used car. How do I transfer ownership to my name?
  • What is important to include in a Bill of Sale?
  • How do I transfer ownership of my vehicle to a family member?
  • How do I register an out of state vehicle in California?
  • The seller claims they lost the pink slip. Will a Title Bond help?
  • Do I need a smog check before I can complete a title transfer?

Below you can find useful DMV Registration information. If you can’t find what you are looking for, please give us a call.

How much time do I have to renew my registration after my tags have expired?

You may renew your registration at any time, however there are penalties associated with renewing late. California does not allow a grace period for registration renewal. Penalties accrue the day after your tag expires. Late fees depend on when you make your payment. Use the chart below as a guide.

  • 1 – 10 Days Late – Additional 10% vehicle license and weight fee plus $10.00 DMV penalty and $10.00 CHP fee
  • 11 – 30 Days Late – Additional 20% vehicle license and weight fee plus $15.00 DMV penalty and $15.00 CHP fee
  • 31 Days – 1 Year – Additional 60% vehicle license and weight fee plus $30.00 DMV penalty and $30.00 CHP fee
  • 1 Year – 2 Years – Additional 80% vehicle license and weight fee plus $50.00 DMV penalty and $50.00 CHP fee
  • More Than 2 Years – Additional 160% vehicle license and weight fee plus $100.00 DMV penalty and $100.00 CHP fee

What is the penalty for driving with expired tags and can my car be impounded?

The penalty for driving a vehicle with expired registration may be as severe as a vehicle being impounded. Ordinarily an officer will issue a citation for expired registration under CVC 4000a(1) and allow you to pay the penalty through traffic court if your tags aren’t expired over 6 months. The law does allow an officer to impound any vehicle with expired registration greater than 6 months. A 4000a(1) citation is a correctable offense and not counted as a traffic point against your driving record. The penalties however, especially if your vehicle is impounded, are severe.

I lost my DMV registration renewal notice. Can I still renew?

Yes, you may. You will need the last 3 digits of your vehicle’s VIN number (vehicle identification number), the license plate number and the zip code where the vehicle is registered. You may then call or come into our office at 894 W. 11th. St., Tracy, CA 95376. – Same shopping center where Pizza Hut, Dominoes and Cafe Platano are at.

Do I need car insurance before I can start the renewal process?

When processing your registration renewal through our office, you must first get insurance, pay the $14 reinstatement fee and then you can pay your DMV fees. – Good thing for you is that we can take care of all that for you here, in house!
Insurance companies in California are required by law to electronically report auto insurance policy information to the DMV for all private-use vehicles, (CVC §16058). Commercial or business insurance policies are exempt from electronic reporting. Reporting time is 30 days from the date coverage is obtained, and 45 days from when coverage has been canceled. Depending on how fast your auto insurance company sends data to the DMV, the DMV insurance system may or may not reflect your current insurance status. Records will indicate no financial liability coverage on record when you actually have coverage. We can help resolve these issues.

Do I need a smog check before I can renew my vehicle registration?

For the purpose of registration renewal, vehicles 6 years and older require a smog inspection every two years. Your DMV renewal notice will show the requirement. TCS Insurance & Registration Services can accept your renewal payment and post fees with the DMV so that you do not accrue penalties. Your new registration card and sticker will be ready for pick up after your vehicle passes the smog inspection. If you’ve recently failed a smog test, this is the best option to avoid late fees. After your vehicle passes the smog test, the station conducting the inspection will electronically transmit your smog certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicles as well as give you a print out of your smog test results. Pay particular attention to the type of smog check the DMV has requested your vehicle undergo. You may be able to visit any smog station or only one that is STAR certified depending on the inspection type requirement. Visit for smog history on your vehicle.

If you intend on renewing your registration through the DMV either by mail or online and before obtaining and passing a smog check, please allow 30 days from the date your vehicle passes the smog inspection to receive your new registration card and sticker. If your registration is due to expire soon or for any reason you need to get your new registration card and tag as soon as possible, renew your registration through our office. We will post fees with the DMV now so that you avoid late fees, and have your new registration card and sticker ready on the same-day which you obtain your smog inspection.

What can I do if I need a smog check but my car is temporarily out of state?

If your vehicle is temporarily located out of state and its registration renewal notice indicates a smog certificate is required, you do not necessarily need to drive it to California to obtain a smog inspection. When completing your renewal by mail, simply submit along with your renewal notice an Application for Temporary Smog Exemption (REG 5103). After your renewal is processed, the DMV will mail your new registration card and sticker to the mailing address on file.

This may or may not be convenient for you if your vehicle is required to have current tags in the state which you are located temporarily. Also when completing your vehicle’s registration renewal through the California DMV, the smog exemption process takes approximately 30 days between the time you mail in the REG 5103 and the DMV reviews and authorizes it. If you choose to take this route, you may need to have someone at your mailing address forward your new registration to your out-of-state address once the DMV processes your renewal.

My registration renewal is due but I have parking tickets. Can I still renew my car?

It depends on whether the parking tickets or toll violations have been recorded with the DMV. If they are, you may renew your vehicle’s registration but only if you choose to pay the parking or toll tickets too. Your total registration renewal fees will include an itemized list of outstanding parking tickets which you may make payment for, along with your registration renewal payment. You may not renew your vehicle’s registration without paying the parking citation(s) on record with the DMV. The good news is that not all parking and toll tickets are recorded with the DMV, only those which are delinquent. Your renewal notice will indicate which tickets and/or toll violations must be paid as well as the date of the parking ticket(s) or toll violation(s), the court through which the violation is handled, the citation number and the fine amount. If you choose to contest a parking ticket, you will need to contact the municipality which issued the citation prior to being able to complete your renewal. If you’ve paid for a parking ticket yet the California Department of Motor Vehicles indicates parking penalties are still due, it is possible your citation clearance has not been filed yet. You may be required to provide proof-of-payment at the local DMV to expedite the renewal process.

My vehicle registration is suspended. How do I remove the suspension?

The Department of Motor Vehicles will mail a letter to a vehicle owner indicating that the vehicle registration is suspended or will be suspended soon. More than often the suspension is related to having lapsed auto insurance coverage or not having auto liability coverage at all. Obtaining auto insurance and paying a $14.00 suspension reinstatement fee to the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program will clear the suspension and we can help you with that here. If your vehicle is currently insured, but DMV records still show that it is not, it is possible your insurance company has not yet provided electronic proof of insurance to the DMV and again we can help with that.
The DMV Insurance Inquiry System. will allow you to learn the reason(s) your registration is suspended. The system will show you the current status of auto insurance and suspension reason. It’ll identify any requirements due and provide an option for submitting payment, if required. Please note, a DMV office cannot process paperwork to clear vehicle insurance suspensions. Insurance suspensions are only be handled by the Vehicle Registration Financial Responsibility Program, and the only method to clear up the suspension is to either use the online insurance inquiry system or by calling the DMV at (800) 777-0133. Once your registration suspension is removed, you may renew your vehicle’s registration, online, by mail or in person.

I received the registration renewal notice for a car I sold. What should I do?

Contact the DMV in-person, mail-in a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability or go online; Anytime a vehicle is sold in California the seller has a responsibility to report the sale to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the sale date. Typically you would tear the top portion of the Pink Slip (Release of Liability section) and mail it in to the DMV. If you’ve already done that, it is possible the DMV has not received it or your registration renewal was mailed out before the DMV was made aware of the sale. In either case, registration is now the responsibility of the new owner, but you must ensure the DMV records the release of liability and new owner information. Without an official DMV recording you may still be liable for registration fees.

How are DMV fees calculated in California?

The California DMV collects transportation related fees from car owners upon initial registration and during registration renewal, annually. These fees can be broken down into 6 main categories.

  • DMV Registration Fee – $46.00 for initial registration/renewal.
  • Vehicle License Fee (VLF) – Based on .65% of the value of your vehicle.
  • Weight Fee – Applies to commercial vehicles. Determined by weight.
  • County/District Fees – Between $7.00 and $47.00 depending on the county in which your vehicle is registered.
  • Smog Abatement Fee – $20.00. Applies to vehicles which do not require a smog inspection.
  • Owner Responsibility Fee – $7.00 fee for failing to appear on a citation, if applicable.
  • CHP Fee – $24.00 authorized under CVC 9250.8, 9250.13, and 9552–9554).
Fees collected are distributed as follows: 40.7% to local government (cities/counties), 25.7% to the CHP, 13.9% to the DMV, 13.0% to Caltrans, 1.7% to the California Air Resources Board, 4.3% to other state agencies, and 0.7% to the general fund.

I don’t plan on driving my car anymore. Do I still need to renew the registration?

No. If your registration is current you may pay a $20.00 fee and place your vehicle under Planned Non-Operation (PNO) status. You may obtain a PNO filing up to 60 days before and 90 days after the expiration of your current registration. If you submit an application for PNO after your registration has expired you may have to pay late fees on the full registration amount. After a PNO is issued you may not operate or park your vehicle anywhere it may be subject to citation. If your vehicle is cited for any traffic or parking violation you may be subjected to full registration fees and penalties for that year. A PNO is the best option for vehicle owners who want to store their vehicles for reasons related to needing repairs or appreciation in value.
© 2018 Domingo Ramos Total Client Satisfaction Insurance Brokers 894 W. 11th. St. | Tracy, CA 95376 Questions? Call (209) 207-0577 or (866) 968-8393

Read more